Reference Number: L0506
Date: 1844
Extent: 2 items
Materials: Bronze
Size: 42mm diameter
Provenance: No known provenance

Description: The medal was modelled by Davis, Birmingham, 1844. On the obverse is an image of the Royal Exchange building with the inscription ‘New Royal Exchange London; First stone laid Jan 19 1842 by HRH Prince Albert Opened by HMGM Victoria 1844.’ On the reverse is an image of the statue to Wellington outside the Royal Exchange installed for the new building. New Lloyd’s Coffee House rented rooms in the Royal Exchange from 1774. The 1838 fire, which destroyed the building, meant they temporarily moved to accommodation in South Seas House and they returned to the Royal Exchange in 1844 remaining there until 1928, when they moved to a new building Lime Street, on the site of East India House. The medal comes with a piece of card inscribed to note that the Royal Exchange was where ‘Lloyd’s had their first Room.’